Rentrak Corporation, the leader in precisely measuring movies and TV everywhere, today announced the worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of April 20, 2014 as compiled by the company’s Box Office Essentials™ and International Box Office Essentials™ theatrical measurement services.
As the trusted standard for all studio box office reporting, Rentrak provides intelligence into overnight theatre-level reporting across the global theatrical market. Coupled with the official reported data, studios are able to analyze admissions and gross results in over 50 territories using Rentrak’s suite of products.
Rentrak’s Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, “The international box office goes to the birds as Fox’s animated sequel ‘Rio 2′ leads the international box office adding $48 million to its nest this weekend as it nears $300 million worldwide. Disney/Marvel’s ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ passed the $500 million mark globally heading into the weekend and is now at an impressive $586.6 million. Sony kicks off its international run of ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2′ in 14 territories and captures an amazing $47 million ahead of its North American debut set for the first weekend in May.”
The top-12 domestic weekend box office estimates listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 20, 2014, are below.
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Disney – $26.6M
2. Rio 2 – 20th Century Fox – $22.5M
3. Heaven Is For Real – Sony – $21.5M
4. Transcendence – Warner Bros. – $11.2M
5. Haunted House 2, A – Open Road – $9.1M
6. Draft Day – Lionsgate – $5.9M
7. Divergent – Lionsgate – $5.8M
8. Oculus – Relativity Media – $5.2M
9. Noah – Paramount – $5.0M
10. God’s Not Dead – Freestyle Releasing – $4.8M
11. Bears – Disney – $4.8M
12. Grand Budapest Hotel, The – Fox Searchlight – $3.4Ma